Getting top rankings in Google and other search engines is the only goal of any business owner or blogger who has a website takes a lot of time and effort. To get the results faster, newbies and even experienced SEO experts practice blackhat techniques. However, you may start seeing the results but all of them are temporary and this may lead your site hit with Google Penalty
Black Hat Techniques That Can Kill an SEO Campaign
1. Guest Blogging for The Sole Purpose of Link Building
If you are planning to build a brand then Guest Posting is one the best ways to build your brand. However, if you are doing guest posting on low quality or irrelevant sites just for creating backlinks to your site then it could your website in a trouble.
2. Avoid Keyword Stuffing
It is one thing marketers try to stay away from as much as possible. There is a strong temptation to add as many keywords as possible to the content you have created. However, Google will pick you up on it sooner or later and you could face a hefty keyword stuffing penalty as a result. Yet, one cannot ignore the importance of adding relevant keywords to articles or blog posts. After all, without it SEO becomes virtually impossible. Usually, the issue arises only if the content reads poorly because of all the keywords you have stuffed.
3. Selling Links or Link Exchange
Any links intended to manipulate PageRank or a site’s ranking in Google search results may be considered part of a link scheme and a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. This includes any behavior that manipulates links to your site or outgoing links from your site.
The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site’s ranking in search results:
– Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links, or sending someone a “free” product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link
– Excessive link exchanges (“Link to me and I’ll link to you”) or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
4. Over-Optimizing Internal Links
Internal links are most useful for establishing site architecture and spreading link juice throughout your site and also helps a user to reach the relevant information related to the current information he is reading. However, over-optimizing internal links that too with rich anchor text can get your site in a trouble.
5. Over-Optimizing Inbound or Incoming Links
Use natural anchor text when doing the guest posting or creating textual backlinks. Creating keyword focused backlinks with same anchor text will not rank your site. Create your backlinks with the maximum number of anchor text variations around the main keyword.
6. Keyword Stuffing in Alt Tags
Some of us try to add the maximum number of keywords in the alt tag because we know the users won’t see. So, just to increase the keyword density in the content we overstuff the alt tags. However, over-stuffing can harm your site rankings.
7. Link Exchange
This is one of the oldest strategies which does not come under white hat techniques but users are still using this technique to gain backlinks. Instead of doing this, you can create quality content which attracts natural links and relevant too.
8. Buying Paid Placements in Low-Quality Directories
Having a free no-follow link from a quality and relevant website is far more beneficial than a paid do-follow backlink from a low-quality directory. This can lead your site in trouble as it is also again Google guidelines.
9. Improper Use of Rich Snippets JUST to Get High CTR in SERP
Rich snippets are very powerful for getting high CTR in the search engine results if used properly according to the category of your business. However, if you add non-relevant rich snippets that are not relevant to your site or page just for the high number of clicks can result in your site with heavy structured markup penalty.
10. Meta Keyword & Description Stuffing
Over stuffing meta keywords won’t increase the rankings of your site nor it results in any penalties. The Meta description should be written in a way that it describes the content of your page.
11. Spammy Footer Links
Links in the footer is for helping users so that they can easily navigate your site. However, many of the sites are still using the footer links to increase the rankings for their primary keywords of products or services. Remove the links from the footer if using solely for ranking purpose.
This technique is still used by many SEO experts. In this, they show a flash or animated page which is sometimes not relevant to the information a user is looking for on your site. However, a relevant information is showing to Google in the HTML version.
13. Doorway Pages
These pages are created solely for the purpose of ranking for a particular keyword. These pages do not provide any useful information to the users. Try to avoid creating such pages.
14. Automated Article Spinning
There are several tools available which spin the original article and create the rephrase copies of the original content. However, such practices harm the site rankings.
15. Switching the Popular or Top Visited Page of Your Site
In this strategy, a user creates and attracts a lot of links and visitors to a particular informational page. Once, the page or article starts ranking the site owner switches the content to a commercial page for selling the product or services.
16. Invisible Text
Adding keywords and content by matching the text color and background color or positioning the text off-screen using CSS to make it visible only to search engines. This may damage Google Rankings of your site once the crawler detects the same.
17. Comment Spamming
Google is very smart and their crawler can easily detect if the blog comment is done for the sole purpose of creating large number of backlinks to your site and that too with the use of software
Related Content: Best Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Companies
- 12 Step SEO Guide to Supercharge Your ECommerce Website Marketing - July 14, 2017
- Web Hosting Types Comparison + Advantages and Disadvantages - July 11, 2017
- These 17 Blackhat Techniques are Killing your SEO Campaign - July 7, 2017
- A Simple (But Complete) Beginners Guide to Web Hosting - June 22, 2017
- 8 Top Factors to Rank on 1st Page of Google in 2017 - June 13, 2017
- How to Improve Your (Reach & Rankings) With Link Building Strategy - June 12, 2017
- App Developers in India – Mobile App Development Companies India 2017 - May 26, 2017
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Web Host Company Provider - May 3, 2017
- 15 Blogging Stats (With Reasons) to Start Blogging Right Now – Infographic - April 10, 2017
- 5 On-Page SEO Techniques That Google Hates - March 17, 2017