Till 20th century, ‘Reality’ was a term, meant and understood for the sense of originality. Then, by the time evolution had spread its wings through science and technology, the term ‘Reality’ got its literal meaning shifted
Today, people are likely to savvy the term ‘reality’ more in technology basis. They have become habitual of living around numerous reality attributes such as Virtual, Augmented, Mixed, etc.
The new generation gets to get the modern introduction of the term ‘Reality’ with all these attributes in its definition. Whereas the matter of fact is totally different. All these variants of reality are actually just a disguise in the name of it.
What is Extended Reality?
Extended reality (XR) is a combination of virtual reality, augmented reality, and augmented virtuality.
Today, we just need to draw a gesture or leave a voice command, in return of which the machine gets us the most relevant result to what we are looking for.
XR is actually designed to reduce the distance between demand and fulfillment. Or, the commander and the executor, or the sender and the receiver.
To understand the meaning of XR, one needs to understand the meanings and functioning of its attributes i.e. AR, VR & AV.
- Augmented reality is a concept of placing or augmenting an object in the digital interface of the actual surrounding so as to make that object a part of it. Pokemon Go was a game very based on it.
- Virtual reality is nothing but a replica of your surrounding or any physical environment, not having any augmented object on it. You can understand this as if you get to see your bedroom while sitting in your office and utilize this virtual representation to figure out the looks and spacing of your room.
- Augmented virtuality is a unique thing that many out there have not heard of. Maybe you too!
When the virtually created thing can be manipulated by a user, it is augmented virtuality.
Though augmented virtuality is a term that is extracted out of Augmented Reality and Virtual reality, the main difference is the place of interaction with the user.
- Mixed Reality sometimes is also defined as a combination of Reality-attributes- AR, VR, with the Internet of Things.
All the above-mentioned technology or concept is when brought in a single place in combination with others is then called as Extended reality.
I believe, our ears have become very familiar with these new technologies nowadays. But the context of our article is, are we going to have all these technologies together in one place together? Is it going to be an XR world after being called as an AR/VR world?
There are many applications confined into an attribute individually.
Therefore, we will focus on the areas of application which are driving the XR development, thus having all the attributes i.e. AR, VR, AV & MR at a single place. And the areas are: –
It is surveyed that education is one of the biggest applicants of XR after the healthcare industry. Not only primary education but also in the standard graduation institutes augmented realities are being used to train and prepare the students for their practical’s.
Earlier, there were just recorded lectures to project in a dark room, now we have XR equipped software that are capable of online on-screen drawing and are used to train the students and trainees.
In addition to the simulated surgery practices, highly advanced technologies like CT Scan, MRIs, etc. are all got advanced because of 3d representation of their results and scans. Helping in diagnosing the patient better way.
Medical students are being trained through virtual surgeries, which I think is the most lucrative utilization of XR in health industry.
- REAL ESTATE
Real estate apps have also gone very far after the XR equipped apps. As the dealers can v determine the exposure level of the sun as per the demand.
One can even draw or place the furniture accessories virtually according to the space and demand of a customer if it is sitting there or not.
Also, the architects use such XR based applications to examine the solar angle and befit the structure according to the demand of the customer.
Commercial Real estate AR app, IKEA, Realer are some real estate XR based apps.
I don’t find anything new to write here for XR in games. As the gaming market is one of the most popular markets in XR world. There was an estimated revenue of the gaming industry above $100 billion in 2015 and is envisaged to reach above $125 by 2019 end. Out of which more than 10% or contribution is made by VR games alone.
There are above 200 million users of VR games globally.
Games like PUBG, Pokemon GO are not required to introduce.
Tourism is a very lucrative business for XR, as a traveler always seeks for the information about the place, he is travelling at minimum searching efforts. XR based hotels and restaurants can help the tourists getting adequate information about themselves as well as the city.
Restaurants can show their Menu and prices for available meals. Hotels can help a customer showing other visitable places in the city.
The only thing a user has to do is to take out his mobile and place it in front of the wall or building which is XR equipped. Many hotels and restaurants are using extended reality for the very same concept and showing their own information just through their walls.
In total, the total envisaged revenue from AR and VR only is about $80 billion by the year 2025.
Virtual reality has come up in the early 1990s while Augmented reality is quite a newcomer to the society with an ample number of limbs to work.
DIGI CAPITAL, a Silicon Valley based XR advisor states that ‘if VR is for gaming, then AR is for everything’.
MORGAN STANLEY, an American investment body estimates for around $68 billion of revenue will be from services of AR & VR only, adding on to which around $120 billion would be from the hardware alone by the year 2020.
A Good thing with XR is that it makes the experience of a customer realistic and easy at any background or genre. This technology allows you to visualize reality in a virtual manner, reducing the risks of physical damages or any hardware malfunctioning.
Still, there is no replacement for practice. As XR can only facilitate the pre-practice session in a safe way and can make you familiar with the possible hazards or calamities but cannot jump you to the real-time challenge directly.
As far as the future of AR/VR world is concerned, XR is undoubtedly going to be the future of AR/VR world.
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Buy SEO Services for Your Business - July 9, 2019
- 10 Best React Native Developers in India - July 9, 2019
- How Strategic Digital Marketing Can Help You Grow Your Business - July 3, 2019
- 5 Tips to Beat Your Competitor’s SEO Strategy - May 24, 2019
- 10 Reasons Why You Need Small Business SEO Services to Grow - May 23, 2019
- How to Measure the ROI of your Social Media Marketing Efforts - May 23, 2019
- 5 Steps on How to Measure Your Social Media ROI - May 18, 2019
- How to Keep Your Small Business Competitive in a Constantly Growing Digital Marketplace? - May 17, 2019
- Will ‘Extended reality’ prove to be the next generation of AR/VR? - May 14, 2019
- MilesWeb Reseller Hosting – The Extra Income Opportunity for Web Developers - May 8, 2019